Sunday, October 29, 2006

Steamin'

It's eight days since the IB Expo concert took place, and a lot of things have happened. Some good, some bad. Nevertheless, the IB Expo concert was simply too good to let go that easily, so here's some more info and a couple of pics.

The concert in itself was wonderful, it really was. Had I not been involved, I would have had a seat in the middle of the theatre and loved every second of it. As it were, I was involved, and loved every second of it.

I think a setlist says more than 1000 words, at least when I am as tired as I am today - having hosted Otto's namegiving party today, including a very free interpretation of Ruby, My Dear by yours truly. More later.

Here's the setlist from IB Expo 06 (more info in IB's forthcoming newsletter and on IB's MySpace page):

First set:

Conundrum (featuring Kjell, Klas & Pat)
Soundscape (by Markus)
Open/Dark II
Celestial Vessel (featuring Bjorn)
Vrooom
Tuner improv (featuring Bjorn)
Can
Absinth
Krin
Variations on a theme from the Carneval in Venice (Christian solo)



Second set:
Sonata (by Ginastera, as played by Christian solo)

Warszawa
Lake District
Song for a Crow Angel
From Here to Eternity
Coming from the Silence
B'Boom
THRAK
Wild as a Toad
Mariola

Encore:
Magnificent Giant Battles

Extra encore:
Theme from The Coachman


And here's the team from IB Expo 06

From left to right: Klas Assarsson, Kjell Severinsson, Pat Mastelotto, Fredrik "Gicken" Johansson, Linnea Olsson, Mats Johansson, Thomas Olsson, Jonas Christophs, Markus Reuter, Christian Saggese (seated), Jan Severinsson, Luca Calabrese, Noca Ramos (one of two honoured guests from Portugal, the other - Luis Loureiro took this photo) and finally Franco Feruglio.

* * *

I'm not a big fan of jazz standards, but when the material is played as well as Davis, Coltrane, Garland, Jones and Chambers perform it on Steamin', I have no objections. As on all the albums recorded by this classic Miles Davis quintet, the interaction amonst the musicians is startling. They certainly knew what they were doing. As I am a sucker for most things Monk, I recommend the quintet's take on "Well, You Needn't". But do listen to "When I Fall in Love" and enjoy Davis' one-of-a-kind ballad playing. Ohhh, that phrasing!

No comments: