Monday, February 09, 2009

So What

I have decided to go back to blogging again. Once more. Another attempt. So what if I have attempted this before, I will try it again. Sure, I am very active on Facebook, but this is another forum, so let's see what happens!

Since my last post, the music world has suffered a couple of tough losses, mainly Lars Hollmer, Freddie Hubbard, John Martyn and Richard Wright. I have only met one of the gentlemen - Lars Hollmer - but felt a sense of loss for each and every one of these fine musicians when they moved on. The loss of Lars Hollmer upset me more than I thought if would, probably because I met the man and he turned out to be a nice guy. Luckily, his music lives on. Let's celebrate that!



Here's a clip of Lars Hollmer playing Inte Quanta


* * *

So What is, obviously, the modal Miles Davis classic from the Kind of Blue album which incidentally celebrates its 50th anniversary this year. It is a great album which everyone should own and listen to frequently. A personal anecdote about this track: I played this tune in a band I played with years ago. As I hadn't heard the track at the time, one of the other guys in the band showed me how to play the theme. Or so I thought. Later, when I bought the album and heard the track, I found out that he had got the notes wrong. Way wrong. There you go, I am sure there's a lesson to be learnt from that experience in some way. Let me know how if you find out.

No comments: