Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Oh dear, oh dear. I haven't blogged for ages now. Since my last blog, Joe Zawinul and Esbjörn Svensson have died, I have celebrated a birthday, I have had a fantastic time in Gouveia (again) and so many nice and not so nice things have happened. It's all water under the bridge now, but I will try harder to blog on a more regular basis, I promise, this time I will try.

What's up now? Copenhagen jazz festival starts on Friday, hooray! A really strong line up this year with Ornette Coleman, David Murray, Wayne Shorter, Dave Liebman, Ravi Coltrane and Joe Lovano all fighting for sax space. One of my favourite singers, Cassandra Wilson will also be there. I heard her at her visit to this festival the last time she was here and it was a really stong performance. I wasn't too crazy about her Thunderbird album though. She's got a new album out now, so I suppose I should check that out very soon. Also performing is the extraordinary thereminist Pamelia Kurstin who is in cahoots with singer/guitarist Maria Laurette Friis. They're playing on the same night as Paul Bley, also essential listening, but can I make it? That's what I will have to see. So much to do...

Later this month, I am heading to the Loreley cliff with IB. The Night of the Prog is calling, and we are responding.

At this point, there is loads of administrative work that is in Limbo at my jazz office. Unfortunately, I can't do much about it at this point. Not because I am on holiday - which I am supposed to be - but because the powers that be haven't said the magic words.

The situation at the university is much better, but I still get at least one annoying mail each week about seemingly meaningless paper work that needs to be done.

But the future looks bright enough at this point. Now if I can just keep blogging...

* * *

Many artists have recorded Nobody's Fault But Mine, but I was blown away by Beth Rowley's take on this song of grief and self-blame. With a dynamic voice that belies her tender age and strong interpretive skills, I was floored. I must get Rowley's debut album Little Dreamer (released earlier this year) and so should you!

3 comments:

All Tomorrows said...

Keep blogging :-)

All Tomorrows said...

What's that I hear - a new IB algum is planned? (read it on Babyblaue Seiten...)

Thomas said...

A new algum? Of course, but what is an algum?